drone essential information


There are no medals for knowing this stuff, BUT it will keep you and those around you safe and within the law. Be a savvy drone owner and read on!

Below are the 4 steps to being a responsible and legal drone owner and allows you to fly your drone for fun. If you want to learn more or like the idea of joining the drone industry as a professional pilot, Flyby provide top quality training throughout the UK to enable you to make money from flying drones.

The A2CofC course offers you a great grounding in starting your career as a drone pilot. It’s the first of a number of building blocks you can take to becoming a top drone pilot! All our courses are online with top class instructors from manned aviation or military training, so you’ll be in expert hands. If you want to talk through your options, you can Request a callback or call us now on 07487 616752.

4 Steps to Take-off...


A2CofC FAQ's

What do I need to fly a drone in UK?

What are the rules for flying drones in the UK? Any pilot operating a drone weighing more than 250 grams must complete an online safety test, obtaining a Flyer ID and an Operator ID that should be attached to the Drone.

I am new to drones. I have purchased a DJI Mavic Air 2 and have obtained my operator and flyer IDs. I would like to fly my drone, mainly for fun but also for my business, to promote my agricultural operations via social media and my website. Is there any particular course I need to do?

It really depends on where you want to fly your drone and for which of the two purposes you mentioned. Firstly, the DJI Mavic Air 2 is a Legacy aircraft, as far as the new regulations are concerned. Being < 2 kg mass it will allow fun and work within the A2 (Fly Near) sub category of the Open Category as long as you hold an A2CofC, a Remote Pilot competence certificate. As you have completed the online CAA, DEMARES, procedure, you will just need to read the User’s manual. What the A2CofC course does is to embolden the knowledge you would already have obtained so far. This will be given by our highly qualified training pilots on CAA-required aviation subjects via online presentations. On completion of the presentations, an online 30 question, multiple choice of answers, test will need to be completed. You will also need to conduct a self-practical training package set out to Flyby Standards and sign for it. Flyby will then award you the CAA approved A2CofC to fly down to 50 metres from uninvolved people in any flying you undertake anywhere. The distances can be reduced, particularly within your agricultural operations, because you would be working with people as part of that type of operation. However, there will be other safety considerations, which will be pointed out during the course. The A2CofC normally lasts for 5 years but because you have a legacy aircraft, unless you purchase a C2 UK (CE) marked aircraft you would have to move to operations within the A3 (Fly Far) sub category i.e. no flights nearer than 150 m horizontally to congested areas. Upgrading to GVC then may be a better option as it allows you to continue with your present drone or buying one of the new C2 aircraft within your A2CofC boundaries.

I'm looking at the 'ONLINE ESSENTIALS A2COFC DRONE TRAINING' course you have available. Does this require an exam? Also, does it require a physical visit to a location or is it all online? Are you able to provide me with a little more information about this particular course. Does this allow for commercial flight? As in, for monetary gain or does that require the course after this current course?

All Pilot Competence qualifications require tests. The Basic one is online with the CAA as part of DEMARES. Therefore, the Flyby A2CofC has a 30 question, multiple choice answer, test which can all be completed online through a Proctoring service to ensure the CAA regulations are followed. There is no distinction between commercial or hobby flights under the new regulations. It is all about risk based operations and the Flyby A2CofC course will cover the stipulated CAA structure but also the Air Law, which was not included. This course will prepare you much better than the minimum requirements because we take the view “Train Hard, Fight Easy”. The last thing you need to be concerned about when flying is wondering if you are following the rules – that’s too late.

I just want to be able to fly my drone on the beach or something like that and for my YouTube channel, what do you recommend?

If the areas you want to fly are completely isolated you can happily fly within the A3 (Fly Far) sub category of the Open Category. You would need to read the User’s manual, complete the CAA training, pass the CAA theoretical test for Flyer ID and register as an UAS Operator, all via the CAA DEMARES pages on their website. However, if you would wish to fly nearer i.e. within 150 metres, of any congested areas, defined as residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas then you would need an A2CofC. To book your A2CofC FOR ONLY £99 - CLICK HERE >

  Request a call back >